477-479 Eclectic, 1814
Built by Moses Hall, this house was sold to
Colonel James Bogert in 1814. Moving his printing and newspaper office here from
number 435, Bogert published the Geneva Gazette in the north half and lived with
his two sisters in 479. By 1840, a bookstore, a bindery, and a music store and
studio flourished all under one roof in 477. Music took over this house when
Edward Kingsland bought the shop and dwelling in 1858. He and his family
advanced musical art in the community, teaching piano, violin, and organ.
The Italian hood moldings over the doors are
additions by the Kingsland’s to the Federal style facades.