600 Watson-Chew House, Greek Revival, 1838
Built in 1838 by W.W. Watson, the house was
purchased by Phineas Prouty in 1860 as a gift to his daughter, Sarah Augusta
Chew. Note the Greek features, bolder and plainer than the Roman, although Greek
columns are fluted, never smooth. These columns are Ionic with large opposing
volutes supporting a wide, massive entablature. The lunette in the triangular
pediment is a Jeffersonian detail, however.