731 Irving House, 1845
This building defies a stylistic label as it
has been altered considerable since its 1845 Gothic origins. The original house
was built by Theodore Irving, nephew of Washington Irving, and a professor of
modern languages and European history at Geneva College from 1837 to 1847. The
original structure was 36 by 33 feet, with 4 rooms and 2 stories. The walls were
constructed of the very unusual combination of adobe blocks and wood planking.
It was enlarged considerably in 1927 and given its new color in 1945 when
Spanish Colonial Period architecture was popular in the West.