Pulteney Apartments, 1796
This was the Geneva Hotel, built by Charles
Williamson. The hotel “at once took rank as the finest hostelry in the State
west of Albany.” The original frame building was three stories.
In 1853, it was purchased for the use as a
sanitarium for the “scientific treatment of disease and ailments.” The Hygienic
Institute became a popular resort, and the nearby White Springs provided its
noted “Water Cure.” The property was eventually purchased in 1917 by Pulteney